formulize video tutorials
Now you can get step-by-step instructions for how to use Formulize, through video tutorials. Watch on screen, and follow along on your own copy. Create forms, set permission, customize screens, do it all!
The videos can be strung together to make one giant workshop about using Formulize. Or skip through them and watch only the ones that are relevant to what you're doing. Let us know how it goes, good luck!
The old Formulize Workshop
In October 2007, and again in 2008, we did a hands-on workshop where walked people through using Formulize, step-by-step, as part of the Free Software and Open Source Symposium in Toronto. Everyone in the workshop got a chance to build a record keeping system for a recreational sports league, from scratch, using Formulize.
This material is outdated and generally superseded by the tutorial videos. But there are still a few things that the workshop covered, that aren't in the videos.
With the files and instructions below, you can recreate the workshop for yourself on a Windows computer. Download the .zip file with everything you need for the workshop. Simple Instructions... (If these are Greek to you, try the more detailed instructions lower down.)
- Download the file above.
- Install the Vertrigo server to its default location. Change the PHP memory limit to 64M.
- Extract the files in xoops.zip to the Vertrigo webroot ( \www\ ).
- Make a database called 'xoops' and then run the sql file to fill it up.
- Download the file above.
- Install the Vertrigo server, and accept the default options. The server should be installed at C:\Program Files\VertrigoServ
- Extract the 'xoops' folder from the file with the XOOPS and Formulize files (xoops.zip), and place that folder in the Vertrigo www folder (when you're done, you'll have a xoops folder here: C:\Program Files\VertrigoServ\www\xoops)
- Start up Vertrigo
- Click on the Vertrigo icon in the system tray, by the clock, in the lower right, and select Settings > Component Settings
- In the dialog box that appears, change the PHP memory to 64M
- Restart Vertrigo so the setting takes effect
- Go to 127.0.0.1 in your web browser, and click the 'phpmyadmin' link on the page that appears
- Enter 'root' and 'vertrigo' as the username and password for phpmyadmin (check the Vertrigo readme/docs if that doesn't work)
- Create a database called 'xoops', with utf/unicode collation
- Extract the SQL dump from the xoops.sql.zip file, and copy the contents of that file into an SQL box in phpmyadmin, and run it, to populate the xoops database.
- Start going through the steps in the workshop. Have fun! Post in the forums if you need help.